Ecclesiastical Trusts & Charities

Church property can be held in a variety of ways. Normally there is a trust or the purposes on which the property is held are contained in legislation. A church hall is normally owned by the Parochial Church Council but vested in the diocesan authority.

The home of a vicar or rector is held by that priest for the term of his or her office, as is the church and any churchyard. Diocesan property is normally held by the diocesan board of finance. Cathedral property is held by the corporate body for that cathedral. Before disposing, acquiring or using ecclesiastical property in a different way, take advice.

Land, buildings, investments, cash and church chattels (such as works of art) may all be held on charitable trust. Property may be held as a permanent endowment or as investment property. It may be held for a specific purpose and help and advice may be needed if the trustees wish to sell it or use it in a different way.


We can help with:

  • Amendments and trust modifications.
  • Application of income.
  • Charity law application.
  • Church and parish halls and institutes (including Albemarle Schemes).
  • Constitutions, trust deeds and memoranda and articles.
  • Governance and Trustees.
  • Green burial sites.
  • Land and property.
  • Legacies and fundraising.
  • Parochial charities (including PCCs and other church councils).
  • Registration.
  • Restricted funds including permanent endowment.


  • Ian Blaney
      • 0207 960 7131
      • View profile
  • Howard Dellar
      • 0207 960 7181
      • View profile
  • Susan Newell
      • 0207 960 7171
      • View profile
  • Jane Grenfell
      • 0207 960 7160
      • View profile