- Quality Service Putting our clients first and understanding their challenges, objectives and goals and delivering a tailored service that represents value in every sense.
- Heritage Taking pride in our history, embracing our legacy and taking responsibility for the future success of our firm.
- Forward Thinking Striving to be flexible, skilled, able to adapt to the needs of our clients and always thinking several steps ahead.
- Expertise To pursue the delivery of outstanding results in all we do and to be market leaders in our specialist sectors.
- Dynamic To be positive in attitude, energetic, responsive and always on the front foot.
Ed is a partner in the commercial and corporate team handling all aspects of business law. He spends the majority of his time on mergers & acquisitions, company law, general commercial agreements and employment.
Ed leads the Firm's corporate and commercial work. His clients are SME's, investors – both international and domestic, start-ups, entrepreneurs, charities and educational organisations. He particularly enjoys getting involved at the start of a client's business journey and forging long term relationships.
As well as commercial transactional work, Ed's business practice includes corporate governance, company re-structuring, shareholder matters and compliance – in particular, data protection/GDPR. Ed also has a busy employment workload usually acting for employers in contentious and non-contentious work and advising on TUPE. He also regularly works alongside the IP & IT and the dispute resolution teams. His work is across the Firm's specialist sectors including acting for charities, faith institutions, restauranteurs and those in the wine and spirits trade.
Ed is a friendly and approachable lawyer who guides clients through complex transactions or difficult personal situations in a clear and calm fashion.
Clergy Discipline and Safeguarding
Ed has close links with the Firm's Ecclesiastical practice. He has a particular specialism in clergy discipline work, acting for diocese and respondents and has appeared in Tribunal four times and has been consulted by working groups looking at the reform of the Clergy Discipline Measure. He also advises clients on safeguarding in this sector and in education.
Examples of recent work
- Acting on the purchase of an insurance software business entailing a business transfer immediately followed by a share purchase
- Advising a restaurant business on a significant equity fundraise including implementing management incentive scheme
- Acting for large children's charity on its successful bid for a public contract
- Advising a senior executive on an unfair dismissal and stress related personal injury claim
- Acted for a London hotel in a major, COVID related, bank re-financing
Career to date
Ed trained at LBMW, qualifying in 2009 and becoming a partner in 2016. He is the Deputy Registrar to the Bishop of Liverpool.