- Quality Service Putting our clients first and understanding their challenges, objectives and goals and delivering a tailored service that represents value in every sense.
- Heritage Taking pride in our history, embracing our legacy and taking responsibility for the future success of our firm.
- Forward Thinking Striving to be flexible, skilled, able to adapt to the needs of our clients and always thinking several steps ahead.
- Expertise To pursue the delivery of outstanding results in all we do and to be market leaders in our specialist sectors.
- Dynamic To be positive in attitude, energetic, responsive and always on the front foot.
Khalid is a partner in our Education and Charity team and advises on issues relating to Charites & Not for profit organisations and deals with contentious and non-contentious matters.
He has several years’ experience advising charities and not for profit organisations on a range of issues from the initial set up and registration process through to specific issues of governance, audit and risk management, re-structuring, mergers, trading subsidiaries and charity commission investigations and inquiries.
He advises groups with a range of charitable purposes as well as Professional Associations and Community Interest Companies. He also advises high net worth individuals regarding setting up and managing Philanthropic Foundations.
He has developed an expertise in the Muslim sector and is thus a point of reference for many Muslim organisations, both nationally and internationally. He assists clients who wish to establish their Charitable Foundations in accordance with Islamic principles (waqf).
Khalid qualified as a solicitor in 1996. Some of his recent work include:
- Advising several faith charities who are subject to Section 46 Inquiry by Charity Commission (Regulator) for alleged mismanagement and misadministration of the charity particularly private benefit to trustees.
- Advising an International aid organisation in re-structuring its legal entity, improving its governance procedures and manging relationship between different legal entities.
- Advising a number of Mosques/Community centres on upgrading its legal structure from unincorporated charity to Charitable Incorporated Organisations (CIO) and undertaking all related legal work for transferring assets from unincorporated charity to CIO, dissolving the unincorporated charity and removing it from Charites Register.
- Advising a High Net worth family to set up a Family Charitable foundation to undertake philanthropic work by the family.
He is also a member of the Charity Law Association.
'We work closely with Khalid Sofi, who provides commercial and practical advice about operating and setting up charities'
'We are highly appreciative of and admire the work of Khalid Sofi and his team as they give very practical advice'